Poker tournaments have always been the favorite of poker players. They offer unique excitement and thrill different than cash games. Land-based tournaments always attracted lots of players, but poker tournaments went through a boom when internet poker rooms appeared on the market. Nowadays, multi-table tournaments attract thousands of players from all over the world, all dreaming to win it and get written down as poker tournament winners. Regardless of the stakes involved, all tournaments are very entertaining and thrilling for players. If you are a new poker player, then you should learn more about different types of poker tournaments which require a different approach and different strategies. The following information is an explanation of poker Thai casino online tournaments and the best ways to approach them.
How Do Poker Tournaments Work?
In poker tournaments, all players start with the same amount of chips and battle against each other on tables of 6 or most commonly 9 players. The blinds and antes gradually increase in different time intervals, which ensures that the poker tournament will come to a conclusion and a winner will be declared. The main point of a poker tournament is to win all chips in play, which means winning the tournament. All poker tournaments have a payout structure that relates to the number of players that participate in the tournament. Usually, the largest poker tournaments award 10% of the field some prize money. The biggest share of the money, understandably, goes to the winner of the tournament.
Most Popular Types of Poker Tournaments
- Multi-Table Tournament (MTT) is the king of all tournaments. They attract lots of players, battling for big prize money for the winner. They are scheduled in an exact time and have a pre-determined structure.
- Sit and Go Tournaments (STT) are ideal for those that want faster action. Unlike MTT tournaments which can last for many hours, even days, STTs are usually done within one hour. These tournaments start immediately after enough players are registered, and usually, top 3 spots payout.
- Freezeout Tournaments are tournaments where players get eliminated after they lose all their chips. No rebuys are allowed.
- Rebuy Tournaments are the opposite of freezeout tournaments because you can enter the tournament again if you get eliminated.
- Satellites are poker tournaments that lead to a bigger tournament. Usually, these tournaments do not award prize money but a seat in a bigger tournament with bigger payouts.
- Knockout tournaments have become very popular in online poker rooms in recent years. In these tournaments, besides battling to win a monetary prize, you can also get a money award by knocking out other players from the tournament.
These were the main types of poker tournaments so now it is up to you which one you choose to play in. You can try all of them and see which one works best for you. All of them are fun and entertaining, so take your time to learn how they work and enjoy the game of poker.